Exact dates for the summer program will be announced soon. In the meantime, please refer to the FAQ below, or email Hojun You (email@example.com) with any questions.
Application Deadline for 2023–2024 (Cohort 2)
Cohort 2 is closed.
- Must have completed 30 college credit hours
- Must provide a written statement of interest (max 1000 words)
- Must provide one letter of recommendation
- Must provide an unofficial transcript (if you are in a master’s program, provide transcripts for both undergraduate and master’s program)
- Must still be an undergraduate or master’s degree student at the time of application
Applications are currently closed. Applications will reopen in early January 2024.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I apply if I am not a UH student?
Yes, definitely. You do not need to be a student of UH or our collaborating institutions. As long as you are affiliated with an undergraduate or master’s program in a university in the U.S., you are welcome to apply.
Can I participate if I am an international student?
You can participate, as long as you have the necessary VISA (or permanent residency) to be a student of a U.S. institution. We do not provide any support in obtaining such legal status to stay in the U.S. Also, depending on your institution, you may be required to obtain CPT in order to receive the stipend from us.
Who should write my letter of recommendation?
Pick a person who knows you well and who can tell us about your strengths, interests, and work ethic. Professors or mentors you worked with in the last 2–3 years would be ideal. The person does not need to work in a specific area, such as a STEM field or the Energy industry.
Is this program free?
Yes, it is free, and in fact we provide a stipend for you to participate in the summer program. More information on the stipend will be shared once you are accepted.
If I am a master’s student, do I need to submit transcripts from my undergraduate as well as master’s program?
Please combine both transcripts (undergraduate and master’s) and submit as a one pdf file.
Is there a certain format for the written statement?
No, there is no specific format.
When can I find out whether I got in or not?
Decisions will be made sometime in March 2023.
Will the summer program require any prerequisites or prior knowledge of a specific topic?
No, this is a program with no prerequisites, and it is open to ANY major.
Will the summer program be an in-person format?
Currently, we plan to hold the program in person. There will also be a virtual option available for out-of-town participants. Of course, this may change depending on the pandemic situation.
If I am accepted, what is the commitment required for me to participate and to receive the stipend?
You are expected to participate actively in the following activities:
- First Summer of Acceptance: 5-week summer camp
- The Following Academic Year: Participate in a team research project. There will be real data provided by one of our industry partners, and you will work as a team, along with a faculty mentor and a mentor from the industry partner who provides the data. At the end of the academic year, you will need to give a team presentation on the findings of your project in a workshop organized by our program (more details will be given later). There also will be limited funding available for trips to conferences to present your project work.
- Summer Following the Academic Year: Summer internship at one of our industry partners (position not guaranteed) or any other industry you can find. If you are not able to find a paid internship, there will be some limited opportunities for funding from our program, and also a limited (selective) opportunity to work as a “junior mentor” of our program for the next cohort. More information on these opportunities will be shared once you are accepted.
Can I apply if I am a Ph.D. student?
At this time, we are only accepting undergraduate and master’s students.
Can I participate if I graduated or if I am about to graduate?
No, this is a full-year commitment. In order to be part of cohort 2, you should be in your academic program at least until the end of the spring semester in 2024. If you graduate before then, you are not eligible to apply.
If you have further questions about the application, or regarding the program, please contact Dr. Hojun You at firstname.lastname@example.org.